Sunday 16 September 2012

Why is it Hard to Stand up for Yourself?

If you come from an Nfamily and you find it hard to stand up for yourself, know that this is because your defence mechanism has been disabled since birth. It is not because you have no backbone or you are not strong. If that was the case you would not have made it this far. A fellow blogger, Elena K , put it beautifully in one of her comments:
     
"surviving despite those feelings of weakness and brokenness is worth something, isn't it? Just being here today means we were strong enough to make it, despite everything."

Yes, we are strong. We've just been conditioned to think that we are not. Our parents  wanted robots, not independent thinkers, so they raised us accordingly: to never say NO, to never rock the boat, to make no demands. Then they send us into the world without any shield or weapon to protect ourselves. Like sending a sheep among wolves. The poor sheep stands no chance.


Also against us is the old "it takes a thief to catch a thief", so if I'm not a thief how can I possibly recognise that somebody else is? For a long time I believed the idea that anyone who was being horrible to me in some way, must be hurting inside, until one day the logic didn't stand anymore, because I was also hurting but I was not behaving that way, and someone who was hurting, out of all people would know what it feels like and would go out of his/her way to not do that to others. I could not excuse these people any longer. 

I felt like I had been conned my whole life. It was only when I was able to "see" the reality of the situation that I was able to attempt to start standing up for myself. 

The way I look at it now is this: If someone is standing on my toes, whether they're doing it on purpose or they're not aware of it at all, is irrelevant, I still need to tell them to step off my toes. If they're honest people they'll be sorry and apologise, however if they're an N, they'll start arguing with you about their "right" to stand on your toes (this was my experience with the Ns in my life-both friends and family).  This is no mean feat, since most of us don't particularly enjoy confrontation and deep down we sense that the Ns will not give up their "conquered" territory without a fight. I can't say that there is an easy way about it, and I'm not sure that even if I had had the tools I have now I would not have ended in the same place. It's impossible to know. I think that's the other side of the coin: that when you do stand up for yourself you know there is a fair risk that is going to be the end of the relationship as you know it. There is something frightening about finding out someone's true colours, specially if they're a family member or a close friend. Your gut is telling you something is wrong but you just can't bring yourself to believe that that person would be as bad as your gut is telling you they are. You keep telling yourself: nah, surely that can't be it! There is a lot of emotional investment in those relationships and having to acknowledge that it's time to "cash in your chips" and go, really hurts. And once you know, there is no undoing it, you can't go back to not know it.

I think this is why, for some many of us, this is such a long process. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes! They're either telling you why they have a right to be on your toes, or they're telling you that you are mistaken. Your toes are in the way. It's insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or another narc classic: "you're the only one that thinks/feels that way" :P

      Delete
  2. Hi Kara,

    I was finally able to access your blog and saw this post - I'm so glad that comment was meaningful to you - even if I have a hard time believing in my own strength some days!

    "Yes, we are strong. We've just been conditioned to think that we are not. Our parents wanted robots, not independent thinkers, so they raised us accordingly: to never say NO, to never rock the boat, to make no demands. Then they send us into the world without any shield or weapon to protect ourselves. Like sending a sheep among wolves. The poor sheep stands no chance."

    Yes, this! This was me as an older teen/young adult, who was victimized again and again as I tried to make a life away from my Nmother. I was a magnet for predators. I had been taught, one way or another, not to trust my instincts, to believe in people's words rather than their actions, to discount my own feelings.

    What changed that was when I found myself in yet another extremely dangerous situation, when my instincts had been screaming a warning at me (again) not to go with this person, not to be alone with them. I was terrified but that "good little girl" part of me who had been trained never to say no, not rock the boat, never be rude fought down my instinct - and I paid dearly for it. After that I realized that my instincts were indeed functioning, that I had put my life at stake by thinking that they weren't, that being the good girl who was never rude had nearly got me killed (again!) That was enough. I swore never again to ignore my instinct - even if it meant being skeptical of everyone until they had shown they could be trusted. It was just a shame it took that level of danger to question the "truths" I had been raised with

    I felt weak and broken (and still feel that way lots of times) from the treatment in my family of origin and then again from the experience with predators outside the family, but in order to get though all that and learn to take care of myself rather than giving up, learning to respect and follow my survival instinct, and then being able to reach out to others, there had to be a huge amount of strength there.

    Even calling a therapist's office and saying "I need help" wasn't weakness like my mother thought it was - it was just a kind of strength she can't recognize


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elena, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. Even though I have never been in the situation of my life being in danger, I do know what you mean about ignoring your instinct and I have also made the decision to never argue with my gut again.
      You are so right in saying that it takes an huge amount of strength to get through all this, to even acknowledge to oneself the reality of what's going on, to reach out and seek for help.

      Delete