Monday 22 April 2013

Healing Tools 2: Essential Oils


   

"It was only in 1989, that scientists discovered the amygdala gland plays a major role in storing and releasing emotional trauma and therefore called the "seat of our emotions." The amygdala gland is the gatekeeper through which all sensory data to the brain are processed. The sensory data first goes to the amygdala gland where it is determined if this data needs to be sent to the adrenal glands first, for fight or flight, or on to the brain for further processing. It essentially processes knowledge about stimuli and situations that are of special importance to our survival. The amygdala is programmed to react without benefit of input from the thinking part of the brain. So, when we experience a traumatic situation, fear or any other unpleasant circumstances this is recorded in the amygdala first and then sent to rest of the body (i.e. adrenal glands or thinking brain) to be processed. Studies at New York Medical University proved this gland does not respond to sight, sound or touch but does respond through the sense of smell. Through our scents we now have a way to release stored emotional trauma in the amygdala gland and the rest of our body." (from http://www.optimumchoices.com/Emotions.htm )

Not long after I started blogging, I found an article that discussed the relationship between maternal neglect and lack of magnesium, which mentioned how blue chamomile essential oil  combined with magnesium and vitamin D helped to relieve anxiety. I tried the combination and it did work: I no longer feel the "hole" of not having a supportive mother. I can't quite tell you how it happened, all I know is that, gradually, the feeling disappeared. I think that's the thing with oils, they're very subtle but powerful at the same time. 
The link above has a fair amount of information. I have found the oils to be particularly useful when dealing with stressful situations. 

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I think I'll give that a try. I know lavender helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on. Lavender, Grapefruit and Frankincense are the combination of oils I've been using for when I'm feeling really stressed. I either put them in the bath or burn them in an oil burner. It makes the room smell wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Thanks for sharing this, hon. XX00

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I'm going to try. Magnesium, and vitamin D. I could use some anxiety relief. I've also tried spearmint oil, which helps me. Lavender helps me too. I sprinkle a few drops of oil on my pillow at night. xxCS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep us posted. The Vit D should help with the RA too. xxoo

      Delete
  4. Another post of helpful suggestions. (You personally know this, but for others who read here:)I've found that having some of these "tools" like the vitamins and oils have helped making dealing with all of these emotions easier too.

    (BTW, I got my computer working again today finally. I hope to get back to your emails, but now have a sick kiddo, so we'll see how it goes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry to hear your kid is not well. Hope he gets better soon. xx

      Delete
  5. I have used oils in the past but stopped using them...Interesting that I was invited to get together with some friends to discuss oils again and you posted this reminder. B12 helps during stressful times too. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wondering how helpful B12 is. Should I get some? I used to take B vitamins but lately have just let it drop. Work stresses pile up, and I get too tired to even think about going to buy supplements. Which ones are truly the most effective? Any advice welcome.

      Delete
    2. B vitamins are definitely mood improvers. The Joy of Chemistry talked about them as something that helped with certain types of depression. I believe he said people prone to depression should take them.

      As an aside, years ago when I worked for a hair care company we did a lot with fragrances. I recall that lavender and pumpkin pie were the two most arousing scents for males. Go figure!

      Delete
  6. I'm gonna be a hard one to convince, Kara. However, recent incidents with my FOO overwhelmed my ability to cope and my emotions were almost unmanageable. I reverted to meditation and deep breathing to stay calm so perhaps I could yield my skepticism a little, just in case aromatic oils could help.

    Funny but a couple of months ago, I bought those plug-in room fresheners which have been "comforting". (I noticed how lovely the house smelled but didn't even consider the effect it was having on my emotions). I'll check out your links, thanks!

    Love,
    CZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha just try it and tell me if it works for you. I wouldn't have believed it either until I tried it, but it definitely makes a difference. Think of how powerful smells are at evoking memories.
      Love,
      Kara

      Delete